Friday 18 October 2013

A Chance for Charity By S.L. Baum


So, I'm not much of a paranormal reader, but a girl needs to change it up once a while, so I did with Charity and Link.

I have to say there are numerous awkward  moments within this novel, that embarrassed even myself, and there are a few ... stretches, if I may call them that. I understand this being a paranormal novel where anything can happen, but c'mon ... -_-

Regardless, I liked this story. I always believe that if a story isn't gonna blow you out of the water, it should at least be comfortable. This story was comfortable.

I love new premises, and this was true for S.L. Baum's version of the 'Immortal Ones'. After all, it is her story and she can do with it whatever she please. While I am uncertain as to what they really are, I like them, as well as, the new elements they create in the world of the supernatural.

I can truly say I wasn't annoyed with the characters and I love the addition of Oz, Marcus and Eve. The perfect use of names was not lost on me also. I always loved medieval settings and characters. Even though this story is set in the modern age, I do love their old world charm. Their banters and light moments had me giggling throughout. It was nice to get playful fun within all the heavy emotional turmoils and changes throughout this novel.

Charity is .... let's say different. I can't get a proper handle on her as yet. I don't hate her or any of the other characters, but I don't fully understand them or the dynamics either. Link is also a work in progress, as I don't feel as much for him as I normally do with a male interest in a novel. Honestly, I don't hate them as a couple either, I just haven't really connected with them on either levels.

With each chapter or situation, some one new shows up. It's like their past is just popping up and settling in Telluride. Surprisingly though, I don't mind. There is a calm that washes over you when you are reading this story. I might not connect with it like I would like to, but I am not bored or annoyed with it either. I enjoy ever page, but at a minimum. I am not bursting at the seams with excitement! I am just content.

I have to say that I love what the author does with being Immortal. It's new, at least for me, and I like figuring out what will happen next as their bonds, skills and powers grow. Nothing is set in stone or what it seems. As I said before, someone new shows up all the time and with them comes a new supernatural happening.

I believe there is immense potential within this novel and I can't wait to unlock it all and watch as the characters and their magic grow throughout this series. Leaving the sex out of the crazy is debatable at this time, because who doesn't like the forbidden?  It is safe to however say that it didn't impede this novel in any way. It was still a well written YA paranormal and I can't wait to get more.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13560451-a-chance-for-charity

No comments:

Post a Comment