Friday 26 July 2013

Eyes Wide Open By Raine Miller

Even more pages I see. So sometimes they say be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it, and I so got it! Initially I had asked for a novel and not a novella and the last two books have been novels but the tone had been the same since. Flat ... I sometimes even forget that this whole story started because her life was possibly in danger.

Obvious plots and twist. I figured out the culprit before he even showed his face in a friendly manner and the scene that culminated this whole story lasted like 20 seconds their time and maybe 2 seconds our time. Honestly, there was hardly even any witty banter with the final face off. I really did expect more, seeing as how the whole story began with this threat.

The blurb for this book needs to be re-written and while at it, throw out the cover also. Awful cover if you ask me. The blurb isn't that superb and the image isn't enough to draw me into this novel if not for it being the last installment in a book series I have already began reading. I say away with the blurb because I at no time got any of the feelings the blurb suggested. For reference: 

The third part in The Blackstone Affair series: A love on the brink of being destroyed. The fight of a lifetime to keep it alive.
Big surprises are on the horizon for Ethan and Brynne as they struggle to adjust to what life has thrown at them. Demons from the past are threatening to destroy the passionate bond they’ve forged despite their vow that nothing will ever keep them apart. A truly devastating loss coupled with the promise of a new hope opens their eyes to what is most important, but is it possible for the lovers to move on from the painful histories that continue to haunt them? A stalker is still lurking in the shadows, plotting evil amidst the distraction of the 2012 Olympic games in London. Brynne and Ethan are on the cusp of losing everything as the stakes rise. Will they yield to circumstances beyond their control or will they give every ounce of fight they have left to save each other and win the ultimate prize of a life together?

Eyes Wide Open is a passion-wrought story that shows us what pure love can achieve when tested and what the heart can accomplish despite danger and adversity

I have doubted their love from inception, due to the time frame and the way they throw around the word like it's the answer for everything in life, but I honestly suspected that we would be getting some questioning of this love like should have initially happened ... or I don't know, but something of some dishevel ... anyway, the point is, we got none of that.

It was more Brynne degrading herself (even with being a 'NUDE' model and all), Ethan re-assuring her that the sun still rises and set with her for him and some cliches thrown in. 
I guess you can assume how upset I am that we never received more from this novel, as I have patiently waited for that 'WOW' factor from this book an got none. (Hold up! ... we did actually get one. Zara. Keep your mouth shut around this young lady! ... She gave us most of our surprises, with her no filter inquisitive attitude. Thank God for nosy 5 year olds!) Still,  It was all so predictable. I think the thing that kept me going was the comfort level I found with these characters. Despite the lack of realism, creativity, suspense and some much added features, I really liked the characters and always have, so I kept on going because it wasn't so bad being around them.

The fact that this book was dual POV aided also, as it solved on of my grosses from book 2, which was the switching of POVs that had me edgy and wanting to be in both of their minds. 
I also found it quirky, her tactic of using the symbols of a card pack to separate the POVs, even if she failed in getting a use of the clubs. Still, it was creative and as close as we seem to get to a game of poker in this series, as  it seems that not even one hand of poker was played throughout, for a book heavily termed and hinting at the game.

I still have questions though and feel like there is definitely some unsaid words and incomplete scenes. But alas! I see that Ms. Miller changed her mind and decided to milk her series with a fourth book. I am not too sure how I feel about this. I might read it so I can get some closure, but I am not impressed and I believe that we could have used some of the wasted conversations and repetitive sex scenes to actually get some issues across and some uber important-before-getting-married conversations out the way. Like ... idk ... Ethan's entire captivity ?!?! ... maybe even the end ... but something!

We got even more supporting characters who were hardly enhanced or developed. They were mentioned in passing to bring across a point or take up some of the free space that began floating around in the middle of this novel.

Needless to say, there was a lot of unnecessary conversations as well as missing ones and mementos. I believe the inclusion of British royalty was a stretch because I hardly ever felt like Ethan commanded that much pull in the UK. I was also slightly disappointed that we weren't able to take part in the extravagant affair that was their wedding, seeing as how we have been waiting throughout the entirety of the series. It's the least we could get, especially with another pleasantly abrupt end that won't be on shelves until the end of this year.

I did however like the gift at the end of the novel. Ms. Miller seems to love to give us little nuggets, but still, while a nice pre-introduction, we technically got the whole story from Brynne earlier on in the novel and I didn't see much difference with the bit at the back. It could have been used to answer one of the many questions throughout this novel or maybe even invite us to the wedding .... just saying o.O

I am disappointed in the lack of creativity as well as development and elements of surprise in this novel. I expected more, but was given a fairly good novel which left me with more questions and a small amount of closure. I hope the next book will be THE one I was looking for, that clears it all up and gives us that exploding element to tie this book all together. Otherwise, all the unnecessary deaths and roller coaster relationship rides would have been for naught and I have already invested a great deal in this series and want the best for these characters I love so much. So let's hope Ms. Miller closes it off on a high note in book 4 so we can get on with the story of Ivan and Gabby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment