Sunday 26 May 2013

The Proposition By Katie Ashley

So ... let's start by saying that the premise for this book is ludicrous. Different, but ludicrous none the less. No proven cheating commitment phobe is gonna have a baby with a woman, just because he wanna get some sex. (It's nice, but not that nice!!)

With that being said though, I must say that talking about sex in the context of the novel, was hilarious at times. The casual air as well as pre and post sex conversations were weird but funny.

The story itself was .... meh, not much character, development or point, but you did get some laughs and culture. The characters were manageable throughout, but they still got on your nerves occasionally and the conversations were shot to hell, but still, for some reason, you still persevered. It's like walking down a lonely dark road but without intensity of actually doing that deed (Don't know if I made sense just now)

Some of the jokes were stiff and half of the time I didn't know whose POV I was getting. We kept swaying between the two main characters, and sometimes it got confusing.

The kids little pool party was funny. Otherwise, there wasn't much to latch on to. After the first baby making scene, the sex was tolerable at best. It wasn't bad, but it didn't make my flag fly high either.

I'll however hand it to Aiden with his sexual prowess. He ain't no Nicholas Jayzon or Christian Grey, but the man could hold is own.

I'm not certain what to make of Emma, it's obvious she's a nice girl, but I just never really connected with her. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her or anything but girl needs to grow a backbone and stop taking shit from people.

Loved Jenny btw ... and she wasn't even a major character. Connor and Casey were like dish water were best friends were concerned, and Connor was MIA for most of the novel, then he just pops back in! (really felt like a draft to me)

You barely went outside the Emma and Aiden bubble and I must say it's a nice bubble when they don't talk much. P.S. ...  damn the man can kiss!

Overall, it wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't all that great either. It had mediocre conversations and barely anything substantial to grab on to. Could have been a comedy due to some aspects of the story and the general plot, but still it fell flat to me.

Maybe next time ...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16126502-the-proposition

No comments:

Post a Comment